Hello Bokitta Followers, Welcome back to our blog!
We have prepared for you a list of recipes made with Quinoa. You probably heard of this power seed, it is a complete protein and a great wheat-free / gluten-free alternative. Quinoa has the perfect balance of all nine amino acids essential for human nutrition. This type of complete protein is rarely found in plant foods, though common in meats. Quinoa also offers a good dose of fiber and iron.
There are different colors of quinoa, white, red and black. The white one is the fluffiest, while as the rest have a more crunchy texture.
Here are few quinoa salads, that will make you feel full, they also make a great complete meal for suhoor or iftar.
Traditional Quinoa Salad: (For one person)
- 1/4 cups Red Quinoa, cooked together in 1/2 cup of cold water (put to the boil and leave it until it drinks all the water)
- 1 beet, sliced
- A bunch of baby spinach leaves
- A bunch of baby rocket leaves
- A small tuna can
- fresh white mushrooms
- 5 walnuts
- 1 boiled egg sliced into 4 pieces.
- 100 grams or 5 pieces boiled long green beans
- 100 grams broccoli boiled
- 100 grams baby carrots boiled
- few pitted black olives sprinkled over
seasoning: 2 tablespoons Olive Oil, 1 teaspoon mustard dijon, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons Apple vinegar, 1 teaspoon lemon juice.
Mix them all together, keep the greens at the bottom, add quinoa, and then sprinkle the colorful veggies at the top. you wont regret this, it has a long lasting flavor that will make you come back for more!
Mediterranean Quinoa Salad: (For one person)
- 1/4 cups white Quinoa, cooked together in 1/2 cup of cold water (put to the boil and leave it until it drinks all the water)
- A bunch of cherry tomatoes
- 6 pitted black olives (kalamata olives if available)
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 200 grams Feta cheese, cubed and sprinkled with dry oregano
- A bunch of romaine or iceberg lettuce, preferably romaine
- 1 small sweet red pepper sliced
- 1/5 spring onion sliced
- 3 thin apple slices
seasoning: 2 tablespoons Olive Oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons red vinegar, 1 teaspoon pomegranate syrup.
Quinoa Lebanese Tabbouleh
- 1/2 cup white quinoa, cooked together in 1/2 cup of cold water (put to the boil and leave it until it drinks all the water)
- 4 firm tomatoes, very finely chopped
- 2 bunches parsley, part of the stems removed, washed and well-dried, very finely chopped
- 12-15 fresh mint leaves, stems removed, washed, well-dried, very finely chopped
- 4 green onions, white and green parts, very finely chopped
seasoning: Salt, 4 tbsp lime juice (lemon juice, if you prefer), 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Mix them all together. Add Romaine lettuce leaves to serve, optional
picture courtesy of : Tabbouleh http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/tabbouleh